As early as possible, gather ideas for how you want the finished product to look. The more precise you are with your Washington DC general contractor, the happier you’ll be with the result. Scroll through Pinterest, clip magazine, and take pictures of the homes of friends and family that you love.
Spend time brainstorming and thinking about your lifestyle and how you want to use the room. You may love the look of a feature, but if it doesn’t work in your space, you may end up resenting it; i.e., if you have lots of beauty products, a minimalist bathroom without storage might not work long-term.
Decide on your budget.
Decide on your budget before you talk to a Washington DC general contractor. Several factors should go into the decision. Spend some working out a range of figures before bringing your ideas to a contractor.
- Financing or cash? Many general contractors offer financing options you can apply for as well.
- What’s your home worth? Anything you spend to remodel a single room over ten to 15 percent over the home’s total value won’t add proportionally to the value of your home.
- What are your must-haves vs. your wants? Decide which aspects of the remodel you’ll be willing to part with if they put you over-budget.
You’ll have more productive consultations with contractors when you’re confident in your budget.
Meet with Washington DC general contractors.
The general rule of thumb when getting estimates for work is to meet with at least three contractors. It’s essential to do your research beforehand to ensure they have relevant experience. If a contractor specializes in landscaping and roofing, they may not be the best fit for your bathroom remodel.
Protector Construction has been in business since 1999, which means we’re experienced in the renovation and remodel of the complete home. No matter the condition of your home or the work you need, our attention to detail and superior craftsmanship will surpass your expectation.
Prepare your home for renovation.
There’s no denying that a home remodel can be stressful for homeowners. Some home areas are less of an intrusion, such as basements or bathrooms. But if you’re facing a complete kitchen renovation, a little planning can make the remodeling process a lot easier.
- Do a thorough cleaning and purge. There’s no sense in storing obsolete kitchen gadgets or bakeware you’ll never use. Reduce the clutter, and you’ll reduce your stress.
- Invest in a storage unit. Instead of playing Tetris with your furniture and belongings, invest in a storage unit for the remodeling duration.
- Schedule your renovation. It’s a lot easier to give up your kitchen if you can grill outdoors in the summer. Consider investing in a mini-fridge and hotplate so you can still cook, even when your major appliances are out of commission.
Don’t just jump into a renovation and plan on coping with obstacles as they come along; think through the inconveniences and make adjustments early to maintain your sense of normalcy. Consider booking a few nights at a hotel or Airbnb to get away from the construction.
Request an estimate from the reliable Washington DC general contractor, Protector Construction.
We’ve served the Washington DC area since 1999, providing high-quality craftsmanship on home renovation and remodel projects from bathroom remodels to crown molding. Every home renovation is personal. We know how important it is for your house to feel like home after a remodel.
Our team works hard to deliver results that exceed client expectations. We proudly serve Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Reach out for a free estimate or a virtual consultation today.